Datapath.io Provides Network Performance Management for DevOps
The cloud ecosystem has developed at a breathtaking pace since its emergence 2 decades ago.
Today, adoption is universal across market segments and sectors. 1/3 of IT spending is happening in cloud technologies. Cloud computing infrastructure and platforms are growing around 25% YoY. This is estimated at $100 Billion+ in 2016. It is driven by the increase in SaaS workloads.
Cloud customers are offering their own applications over Web and Mobile platforms. It is critical to offer reliable, high performance SaaS applications for internal and external use. The following headlines are proof:
- Amazon found every 100ms of latency cost them 1% in sales
- Google found an extra .5 seconds in search page load time dropped traffic and revenue by 20%
- Walmart sees increased conversion by 2% for every second of reduction in page load times
Cloud application performance optimization is where DevOps spends much of their time. As a result, there is no shortage of new solutions. Solutions like AppDynamics, New Relic, and Riverbed Technologies. Incumbents such as Dell, IBM, Microsoft, and HP provide similar offerings as well.
Internet performance remains an Achilles’ heel for cloud application performance. It is often the weakest link. To optimize network performance, most DevOps cloud customers lack:
- Granular visibility
- Easily accessible solutions (deep network engineering skills required)
- Economically viable solutions (no huge hardware investment)
Cloud customers with the necessary skills and resources can turn to the networking incumbents. These are companies such as Cisco, HP, and Juniper Networks.
There is also a rich ecosystem of Software Defined Network (SDN) players. These primarily cater to the enterprise LAN networking environment.
Lastly, there are services offered by companies such as CloudFlare and Incapsula. These companies rely on DNS to optimize routing, but act as black boxes.
What you cannot do is configure your WAN connection. You are stuck with the Internet transit offer of your provider. There is a gap in the market for a solution that delivers a rich set of advanced Internet performance management capabilities. A solution for DevOps and IT application managers.
This is why we could not be more excited about our investment in Datapath.io. This is a partnership with Target Partners and a select set of business Angel Investors.
Datapath.io was founded in 2012 by Sebastian Spies and Sascha Coldewey. Sebastian is a BGP expert. Sascha Coldewey is a serial entrepreneur in the e-commerce space.
Datapath.io uses its own re-implementation of the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP). They are running on commodity hardware using an OpenFlow controller.
Datapath.io monitors real-time network performance. Datapath.io is monitoring the characteristics of 600,000+ network prefixes globally from 70 vantage points. They use the following information:
- Provide customer details and granular access to individual cloud application performance. This is a function of customer network and location.
- Allow customers to easily set network performance requirements and rules (e.g. switch routing when latency to US West increases > 50 ms)
- Automatically update routing tables and reroute traffic. This is overriding standard BGP routing based on customer requirements and preferences
We want to Congratulate Datapath.io for moving from Beta to official launch!
Download the AWS Network Optimization Whitepaper to learn more about cloud application performance.